Saturday, September 18, 2010

There's such thing as "Normality" during an exchange?? whatt???

When I returned to school on Tuesday, my teachers and friends wanted to know how language camp was.  I speak much more Norwegian at home now, but school seems to be about the same, unfortunately.  I'm here to learn Norwegian, but I can't seem to.  English is helpful to understand what is going on, but I need to put an end to it.  I have been here for six weeks. . . this is long overdue. 

This week felt...normal...  What a strange word to use to describe part of an exchange year!  Normal.  Wow.  I guess I'm past that "honeymoon" period of the exchange.  Don't get me wrong - my exchange thus far has been more than I could have asked for - but I seem to be settling down, finally.  When people think about a year abroad, it seems like new things constantly, which it can be.  But, when there are miniscule differences everyday, it feels almost normal.  It is hard to describe, obviously.

I seem to have missed a bit last week, but my teachers told me that, because I was making an effort to learn the language so I can function (at least a little more) in class, they didn't really expect me to make up the work.  More of a, "Don't worry about it!" attitude.  A few even used the exact phrase.  I guess I am just not used to missing school and not making up missed assignments.  It feels pretty wrong to me.  But I can barely follow what's going on when I'm not worried about the work load, so I understand their logic.

Dance went really well this week and I seem to understand what the little girls say to me now; mostly things like: "I have to go pee" or "Do you really only speak English?"  Not very useful for an adult, but who knows!  I have also finally understood the routine of their classes so I know what to set up for each activity and what to tell them if they do something the wrong way.  The "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song really helps when telling a young dancer what to do with their legs and arms during class.  Hmmm... maybe I have learned more than I think I have. 

It feels like I haven't learned anything some days.  And then other days, it feels like I am on the right track. 

In my class we are getting ready for a huskonsert which will happen on første oktober, the first of October.  It will be a soul'n'funk concert!  I am playing the also for this concert... too bad I didn't bring one with me! o.O  Luckily, Henrik knows some people, has called them, and has one on its way to the school for me to use! 

Alice asked me to go over her house on Friday, which I did!  And (well, I think) we had a lot of fun!  We were supposed to watch a few movies, but we ended up sharing music, eating, played piano, etc etc.  Her house is in the opposite direction of Larvik than Kjose.  It was interesting, because I felt very homesick when I arrived at her house and we were talking for a little while.  But quickly, the feeling passed and we made snacks and had a lot of fun after. 

If there are any future exchange students reading this, listen closely: what people say about rollercoaster emotions while on exchange is TOTALLY TRUE.  Sometimes you cry for no reason.  Sometimes being asked to go over someone's house can drastically change your day for the better, whereas at home it would be a normal occurance.  Sometimes watching a little girl with her father at the dance studio makes you want to call home and hear your father's voice again.  Sometimes you don't feel homesick at all for a few weeks!  Sometimes you mess up your new morning routine and feel like the day will follow in the mess.  Sometimes you laugh one second and the next you cry.  Sometimes, it feels like a rollercoaster ride. 

Well, either way, I had a an extremely wonderful time at Alice's house.  I feel like I am becoming closer with the kids in the music program, which I am so excited about!  Merete and Kristian said I can have some people over for a movie night...  I hope I can do this soon! 

Today was quiet.  I cleaned a bit and then watched "Over Hekken" og "Toy Story" på norsk ("Over the Hedge" and "Toy Story" in Norwegian) and followed that up with a call home and restarting on my college application process (UGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!).  >.<""

This evening, Kristian and Merete had two people over for a late supper and to watch a movie in the barn.  I haven't watched a movie there yet, but, I kid you not, it is as good as a movie theater!  We watched "Twister" (which I saw once before) and had candy and potato chips.  I can't wait to have a party in there!  They have a screen projector that comes down over a giant mirror and two giant comfy couches to sit in from of the screen and watch from. 

Tomorrow I am going with Harald Bugge, my third host father, and his two daughters on a boat trip!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Noellen!
    It's Daddy! Loved your most recent Blog. Is "also" short hand for alto saxophone? That was my guess. The IDIC 15 race was two races this year. A5K and a 15K that went from the Skyship down River Road. About 60 people were in the 15K. About 150 or so were in the 5K. i felt bad not running, but my left leg hurt too much (Wimp!). Mr Schillinger was im the 5k along with Miss Perkins, Mrs. Garland, Mrs Pepe, Mrs Laird, Mrs. Simons (f.k.a. Ladabouche), Mrs. Maclachlan, Mrs. Pfeffenberger, Mrs. Carey, Mrs. Flynn and if I missed someone, they will let me know.
    Umur bought a phone, MP3 Player and Camera (Kodak) today and I bought a webcam, but we are not going to use it...just kidding. Everyone was asking about you at the race and send their best.
    Suggestion: Why don't you suggest to your host family that you make a meal...Steak, baked potatoes, veggies and HoHos. If you wnat directions/recipes or other suggestions (like roast chicken or turkey, e-mail Mom or me.
    xoxoxoxoxoxxooooxoxooxo Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a few more weeks, you'll get beyond the homesick feelings and the language barriers! Remember how hard your brain is working in 2 languages-exhausting! Love reading your blog and wishing you all the best!

    Keri Bristow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noellen:

    Mr. Fusco here: Love your blog, and am as happy for you as I am for Andrew!

    ReplyDelete