Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rekkevik

Påskeferien has been absolutely wonderful.  It's a nice break from school (not like I haven't already had a bunch of those...) and it's an introduction into the week before Easter. 

Friday was extra special because a bunch of us went grilling on the beach and after that, it was onto the Easter activities, plus a few extra things.

Some of the family came to visit, including young children.  It is very cool to understand and be able to communicate with the younger kids, because when I first arrived I had no idea what they were saying.  It really helps that I had the younger ballet classes with Nina and Karoline, because if I can understand the dozen kids running around and yelling, then I can understand two or three. 

Sunday night I went to a birthday party for Linke and her friend Andrea.  We rode on the trailer of a tractor into the woods and cooked hot dogs.  Then we came inside and ate tons of cake, boobie-styled cupcakes, ice cream, chips, soda, etc etc.  It was so much fun!!! 

Monday was spent outside on the porch with Helle and Trond's family sunbathing and reading.  The weather has just been so deilig.

There was always new candy in the giant Easter egg in the kitchen because the Easter bunny came everyday.

Tuesday was my last full day on Langestrand at Helle and Trond's house.  It was very bittersweet as the day was spent packing.  I also got sick of packing and watched Star Trek and Rat Race.  We had a very nice dinner of steak as our last dinner together with me as the exchange student. 

Wednesday (yesterday) was also spent packing and getting everything together to move to Rekkevik with the Bugges.  As soon as we pulled up with the car I started getting teary because I knew I had to say goodbye.  Helle and Line dropped me off and they were a bit teary as well. 

My new host family is: Harald, host dad; Else Britt, host mom; and Charlotte, host sister (19).  They live "across the fjord" from Langestrand, but close enough to the school that I think I will be biking everyday.  They have a dog named Toffy, seven birds and two goldfish.  It really feels like home with the pets! 

I was shown around the house, had the normal first day/night questions answered, skyped with my grandma and Lauren and I started unpacking.  But I didn't get very far before Charlotte and I started to get ready to go out to Calle for the night.  It was the 18 and over night at Calle last night and it was a blast.  I was so tired from yesterday that I just fell asleep when I got home. 

Here's a picture of me with Charlotte before we went out.

--------

One of the most difficult but rewarding things a Rotary exchange student does is switch host families.  Although it really sucks to have to pack up EVERYTHING and move across town and start over with another family, you gain such a greater understanding of how the culture works in the country and your family grows bigger.  I know there are very big differences between my three families, but there are also many things that are the same that define the Norwegian culture.  I am very lucky to have had so many host siblings - five in total.  I have had three younger, one the same age and now one older than me.  I have also had host parents with very different jobs and social lives.  On another note, I am so lucky to have the friends I have made in Norway.  I just can't wait for my mom and Bauer to come to Norway and meet all of these amazing people. 

So, here's to another new beginning living in Rekkevik next to the beach...  and here's to only SIX DAYS before Eurotour!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment